- LIBBERTON, a parish, in the Upper ward of the county of Lanark; including the village of Quothquan, and containing 796 inhabitants, of whom 117 are in the village of Libberton, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Carnwath. This place, of which the name is of uncertain derivation, is situated on the banks of the river Clyde, and comprehends the ancient parishes of Libberton and Quothquan, the latter having been annexed to the former in 1669. The present parish is about seven miles in length, from north to south, and four miles and a half in average breadth, forming a peninsula bounded on the south and west by the Clyde, and on the north by the river Medwin; it comprises 8703 acres, of which about half are arable, 500 woodland and plantations, and the remainder hill pasture and waste. The surface is generally elevated, and along the banks of the rivers level, but in other parts varied with hills, of which Quothquan Law, the highest, is 600 feet above the sea, and covered with verdure to its very summit. The Clyde frequently overflows its banks, adding great fertility to the meadows on both sides; it is of very various depth, being fordable in many places during the summer, though in other parts of the parish its banks have a height of fifty or sixty feet. The Medwin, which rises in the parish of West Linton, has a course of several miles, receives the waters of the North Medwin, and then flows into the Clyde: a branch of it, taking an easterly direction, at Dolphington, forms a boundary between the counties of Peebles and Lanark, and afterwards falls into the Tweed. The scenery is pleasing, and in some parts embellished with thriving plantations.The soil is various; near the Clyde, extremely fertile; in other parts, comparatively poor. The crops are, oats, barley, bear, potatoes, and turnips: the system of husbandry is advanced; and draining has been practised to a considerable extent, embankments constructed, and much unprofitable land reclaimed and brought into cultivation. The farm-buildings have been also improved, though still inferior to many in other districts of the county; the lands have been inclosed, partly with stone dykes and partly with hedges of thorn, which are kept in good order; and the plantations have been extended. Attention is paid to the management of dairy-farms, and large quantities of butter and cheese are produced for the supply of the neighbouring markets; the cows are all of the Ayrshire breed. The sheep fed in the pastures are a cross between the Cheviot and the Leicestershire. The plantations, made chiefly on the lands of Cormiston, Shieldhill, Huntfield, and Whitecastle, are larch, and spruce and Scotch firs, intermixed with various kinds of forest-trees, and are in a very thriving state. The landed proprietors' residences and tastefully-embellished demesnes add greatly to the beauty of the scenery. The village, which is pleasantly situated, has facility of intercourse with Carnwath, the nearest market-town, by tolerably good roads; and the turnpike-road from Peebles to Glasgow passes for nearly a mile through the parish. Quothquan is also pleasantly situated. The rateable annual value of the parish is £4730. It is in the presbytery of Biggar and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, and in the patronage of Sir Macdonald Lockhart, Bart.; the minister's stipend is £226, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £16 per annum. The church, erected in 1812, is a neat edifice adapted for a congregation of 350 persons. The parochial school, situated in the village of Libberton, is well attended; the master has a salary of £30, with £20 fees, and a house and garden. There is also a school at Quothquan, the master of which has £2. 10. annually, being the interest of a bequest, and £6 from house-rents, in addition to the school fees. A friendly society, established in 1811, has contributed to reduce the number of applications to the parish for relief. Near the village are the remains of a circular camp, situated on the extreme edge of a barren moor, about half a mile from the Clyde; it comprises an area of about an acre and a half, and is surrounded by a double intrenchment with a deep fosse.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Duddingston — DUDDINGSTON, a parish, in the county of Edinburgh; including the villages of Joppa and Easter and Wester Duddingston, and also the late quoad sacra parish of Portobello; and containing 4366 inhabitants, of whom 156 are in Easter, and 200 in… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Quothquan — QUOTHQUAN, a village, in the parish of Libberton, Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 2 miles (S.) from Libberton village; containing 160 inhabitants. This place, also written Couth Boan, and signifying the beautiful hill, derives its name… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
South Lanarkshire (UK Parliament constituency) — UK former constituency infobox Name = South Lanarkshire Type = County Year = 1868 Abolition = 1918 members = OneSouth Lanarkshire was a county constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (Westminster) from 1868 to … Wikipedia
List of state schools in Scotland/Council Areas S-W (excluding cities) — The following is a partial list of currently operating state schools in the unitary council areas of Scottish Borders, Shetland Islands, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, Stirling, West Dunbartonshire, West Lothian and Western Isles in Scotland … Wikipedia
Quothquan — (also formerly spelled Couth Boan) (Gaelic: A’ Choitcheann, pronounced [ə xɔʰtʲçən̪ˠ]) is a village in Libberton parish, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is located at NS994395, 3 km north west of Biggar, and 6 km south east of Lanark … Wikipedia
Le Cœur du Midlothian — La Prison d’Édimbourg Auteur Jedediah Cleishbotham, Schoolmaster and Parish clerk of Gandercleugh (Walter Scott) Genre roman historique Version originale Titre original The Heart of Midlothian Éditeur original … Wikipédia en Français
Covington and Thankeston — COVINGTON and THANKESTON, a parish, in the Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Biggar; containing 523 inhabitants. Of these ancient parishes, which were united about the beginning of the 18th century, the former derives … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Craighall and New Craighall — CRAIGHALL and NEW CRAIGHALL, villages, the former in the parish of Inveresk, and the latter chiefly in Inveresk parish, but partly in that of Libberton, county of Edinburgh; containing respectively 501 and 336 inhabitants. Craighall is… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Howgate — HOWGATE, a hamlet, in the parish of Penicuick, county of Edinburgh, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Penicuick; containing 81 inhabitants. It lies on the high road from Libberton to Dumfries; and in its neighbourhood are several fine streams, of which… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Pettinain — PETTINAIN, a parish, in the Upper ward of the county of Lanark; containing 416 inhabitants, of whom 80 are in the village, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Lanark. The name of this parish is supposed to have been derived from the old British word… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland